CONTACT

You can email me at ricardodelgadoart@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Old Movie makeup, Lon Chaney and John Chambers

When I first started out in this business, I heard a lot of strange stories about John Chambers, who was the makeup man on the Planet of the Apes films from the 1970's. I'd heard silly stuff like he was the guy in the suit in the classic Patterson Bigfoot footage from around that time, as well as even stranger stuff like him working for the government. I thought the stories were fun but outlandish, but listening to a video today brought all those tales back up again.

Anyway, here's the Patterson Bigfoot footage:



And here's the video, which talks about old movie makeup and mentions Chambers in a way that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up in a deja vu kinda way:


I'm not saying that he was in the Bigfoot footage or that any of the stuff I heard were anything but Hollywood gossip/hearsay, but the stories were really fun and this Aint It Cool video brought all of this stuff back up for me.

PS- I also worked with Mike Westmore on Deep Space Nine and First Contact, and he was just the nicest man, despite some of the stuff that Harry talks about Bud Westmore and his time at Universal, although some of the Creature of the Black Lagoon stories about Bud around town don't really cast him in a good light.