CONTACT

You can email me at ricardodelgadoart@gmail.com

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Ray Harryhausen's Rhedosaurus

As a kid I began to obsess over films with giant reptiles in them, and Ray's Beast from 20,000 Fathoms was one of them. Now, there's a whole backstory to this film that I'm not going to get into, but to paraphrase Ray and Ray Bradbury, who as you know is another hero of mine, kinda ended up collaborating in a way on this film, Bradbury having written the original story for the Saturday Evening Post and Harryhausen having animated the darn thing for the movie, but after King Kong, my first complete obsession, I was utterly fascinated with the fictitious dinosaur of this film. Here are some still from the film, which adult me now sees as some of the finest examples of lighting in Ray's animation. There are film critics that say this film inspired Godzilla, King of the Monsters, but in any case, here's some stills:

















And here's the puppet:



And here's a trailer for the 1952 film: