CONTACT

You can email me at ricardodelgadoart@gmail.com

Friday, June 8, 2012

How to Train my stupid drawings

These are initial concepts for the big mean dragon at the end of How to Train Your Dragon, but who cares?

I worked with Dean Deblois and Chris Sanders on Dragon, both of whom I knew from Disney and really nice men. I love it when the person matches the talent. If you're a jerk I don't care how good you are. In cases like that, I can easily respect the talent but never want to spend a moment with you on a personal basis.
Based my thoughts here on dinosaurs (really? What a surprise!) Especially Ankylosaurus and Postosuchus, with a dash of Shere Kahn thrown in a the chin. 

I've been lucky enough to work for all three of the big Animation studios, Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks, and they were all a lot of fun. Using the volcanic element, I thought it would be cool if this guy was covered with rune-like etchings tht filled with lava that seeped from the Green Death.

No rear legs here, at least in this early version, and the tail club has claws.

I liked the picture, and one of the few proud moments for me in a string of mediocrity.